What is a designated caregiver?
A designated caregiver is a person who is selected by a qualifying patient as the person who is authorized, on their behalf, to possess, obtain from a certified medical cannabis dispensary, dispense and assist in the administration of medical cannabis. Caregivers must enroll in the program. A designated caregiver is issued a medical cannabis registry identification card that allows him/her to possess up to 2.5 ounces of medical cannabis on behalf of their patient. It is not legal for caregivers to consume, by any means, medical cannabis that has been dispensed on behalf of a registered qualifying patient.
A designated caregiver is a person who is:
- At least 21 years old
- Has agreed to assist a patient with medical use of cannabis
- Has not been convicted of excluded offense
- Assists no more than one patient
An excluded offense includes either:
- Violent crime defined in Section 3 of Rights of Crime Victims and Witnesses Act, or a substantially similar offense
- Felony violation of state or federal controlled substances act (Department may waive restriction if applicant demonstrates that conviction related to possession, cultivation, transfer, or delivery of reasonable amount for medical use)
- *No exception is allowed if the conviction is related to a violation of Medical Cannabis Act
Why do patients designate a caregiver?
Patients may choose to designate a caregiver for a variety of reasons. Many patients are disabled and will need a reliable caregiver for different reasons. Getting to and from a dispensary, especially in certain conditions, is very difficult or impossible for some patients. Others cannot medicate without the assistance of a caregiver. The needs of patients vary which is why The Healing Clinic created Caregiver Connection, to find patients a caregiver that can meet their needs and to match caregivers with a patient that they can help the most according to their lifestyle and schedule.
How do I register for the Caregiver Connection Program?
Our Caregiver Connection program is free for The Healing Clinic patients, however we welcome all registered cannabis patients, regardless of where certification was received. If you are a registered cannabis patient that is in need of a caregiver or would like to find out more about our Caregiver Connection program, call us today! You may also email an inquiry to email@example.com.
If you are interested in signing up to become a registered caregiver you can start by filling out our Caregiver Interest Form and submitting it online. You may also download the attachment, fill out, and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your Caregiver Interest Form and one of our Patient Advocates will call you to schedule an interview.
What to expect at your Caregiver Interview:
- A Patient Advocate will conduct a brief interview to find out about your lifestyle, interests, experience and other information that will help us match you with the patient you are able to help the most.
- Be prepared to take a photo that will be used for our caregiver database and will be submitted along with your application to the Illinois Department of Public Health for your caregiver registry identification card.
- Bring a government issued photo ID.
- $25 Registration Fee
Upon registering for Caregiver Connection, we will add you to our caregiver database. When we find a patient who we believe you are able to help according to your file, we will follow up with you for a second interview. This is a good opportunity for you and your patient to meet for the first time.
Prior to your follow up interview, download the Instructions for Caregiver Application and review. Download the Caregiver Application and fill out using black ink. Bring your Caregiver Application along with your Fingerprint Consent Form to your follow up interview.